NEW STUDY: As popularity surges for the world of esports, CUMULUS MEDIA | Westwood One wanted to explore the habits of esports watchers and video game players to understand this expanding audience. Using MARU/Matchbox, the company surveyed 602 respondents between the ages of 13 and 44 who indicated they were frequent or occasional esports watchers or video game players. The survey took place in February 2019.
- Heavy esports watchers and heavy video game players are media junkies, consuming a wide variety of media simultaneously
- Heavy esports watchers are more likely to be heavy AM/FM radio listeners
- Heavy esports watchers and heavy video game players are more likely to be heavy podcast listeners
- Heavy esports watchers and heavy video game players prefer Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram
- Esports events are gaining popularity among heavy esports watchers and heavy video game players
- Heavy esports watchers and heavy video game players are super sports fans with high levels of interest in major league sports like the NFL, MLB, NBA, and NCAA basketball
- Westwood One and multi-platform media brand Subnation recently announced an exciting new strategic alliance that will bring esports audio content to millions of fans across the country. The first collaboration between the two companies is a weekly feature in Westwood One’s nationally syndicated Zach Sang Show. Gaming legend Paul “ ReDeYe” Chaloner will join Zach on his show every week to talk about gaming news, current standings, and new releases.